Monday, June 27, 2011

I think you turn left, but.. maybe you should turn right instead.

There are a few things I'm really good at: I make a mean soup that freezes well and thaws even better; I complete (most) goals I set myself to acheive; I'm fiercely loyal. You know, things that won't beef up my resume.

But if you want the most out of our relationship, never ask me for directions.

John & I after getting lost-as-a-boss on a recent road trip to Florida.
I've been told by a few that love me, on a few occasions where their love demonstrated extreme patience, that I should always, without fail, keep my mouth tight shut when someone asks how to arrive at a particular location in the fastest, most direct and un-complicated route. And I noticed today that their advice was top notch.

In a BBM conversation this morning, my friend Melissa asked me if I had tried any hair salons since moving to our new town. She's new too (new-ish) and luckily enough, I had tried a salon and I had loved the cut, the price and the service! (4 stars.)

But because of my lack of directional ability, Melissa would never find a salon that I now know is called Tosha's Salon.

Melissa: Hey Sam - have you got your hair cut anywhere in Orillia yet?

My excited-to-help self: I have! I got it done on Mississauga street. It's the same road the Brownstone is on. I think it's called Mississauga. And at the place beside The Bears' Den tattoo parlour. I'm blanking on the hair place's name, but it's definitely beside The Bears' Den.
My excited-to-help self getting on a roll: The girl with the pink hair did my hair and I think she did a good job! I was very happy with the cut and the service.

Melissa: Now if I could just remember where The Bears' Den was...
Myself: It's close to Brewery Bay.
Me again: Like... thirty seconds in the opposite direction of where you live

Melissa, patiently!: It's ok - there are a billion hair places downtown
Me thinking I've regained some ground: It starts with an 'L'. Goodluck!

Unfortunately, Tosha's Salon does not start with an L.

I've experienced this problem so many times. I remember in childhood my Dad actually bought me a compass and while we were driving encouraged me to pay close attention to the direction the arrow was pointing, and the roads we were taking. This did nothing but distract me.

And today, I couldn't tell you the roads to take to arrive pretty well anywhere in Hamilton, Toronto, or now Orillia - three towns I should be well familiar with. But if you want to know some cool landmarks that I think might be in some relation to your final destination, or the number of steps to take before you arrive - really, if you want the scenic route - let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

Thank goodness for God's love. It's easier to find than any point on a map, simple to point to, and the path toward it is straight and clear.

"Suddenly God, your light floods my path. God drives out the darkness... What a God! His road stretches straight and smooth. Every God-direction is road tested. Everyone who runs toward Him makes it."
2 Samuel 22:9 - The Message

1 comment:

  1. haha!! Dont worry sam, Im the exact same way!! I'm also nearing 22-years-old and I don't have a lisence...

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you think!