Wednesday, August 3, 2011

More Than Opportunities

This won't be a post about a hit television show, but I have to admit, a contender on a new reality TV series has inspired me to write it.

His name is Cameron and he auditioned for The Glee Project to gain a 7-episode spot on the poppy, addictive, cheesy and lovable cult show Glee. Of thousands, he was one of a handful chosen to be put to tests of singing, dancing, and acting - and in the process, was gift wrapped an amazing opportunity to gain fame & fortune. Cameron's charisma and honesty made him a fan favourite quickly and I have no doubt in my mind that he would have advanced to achieve his original goal of gaining a spot on the show.

Until he quit.


Photo from http://www.thegleeproject.oxygen.com/
Cameron has proclaimed his faith as a Christian on the show since day one. He shared this fact with pride and, watching from home, inspired me as I saw a young person bring his own convictions before any ridicule or shame  he may have faced from those watching. He didn't mind the lashing out that he (like most celebrities before him) would face on anonymous internet threads.  (I've noticed - and forgive me for generalizing here - that Christians tend to get a bad rap. Save for the fanaticals featured on Trading Spouses where a sub-in mama tries to convert a family of 5 over the course of a week, generally Christians are boring and simply not good for ratings.)

But Cameron wasn't too concerned about appearances and consistently remained true to his faith.

This was put to the test multiple times, as he was faced with decisions to make about portraying sexuality on television. Deciding that his faith has encouraged him to remain an example to other Christians, he opted out of displaying overt sexual acts for the sake of the competition, and in the process decided that the show may just not be for him. If he wasn't allowed the freedom to stand for what he believed in, well, he didn't want anything to do with it.


Opting out of the competition

This has inspired me on a few levels. Of course I get warm fuzzies when I see a good, honest representation of a faith-based lifestyle. But more than that, I realized that we don't need to take all of the opportunities we are handed in life. We are allowed to evaluate them, match them against what we stand for, and take them - or leave them - and with the freedom to move on.

The reason this has encouraged me so much is because I've been feeling discouraged about my lack of ability to find a career position that fits me. Specifically, a part-time position I can work at alongside working for and with John. In the three months that I have distributed resume after resume, I have heard surprisingly little response. In two cases I turned down opportunities for one reason or another, and most mornings I wake up regretting - or at the very least re-considering - those decisions. But must remind myself they simply weren't right for me.

Priorities :)


I feel encouraged by Cameron because I know that the right door will open when it's time. I have the skills, the experience, and the education I need to find an appropriate fit for my life - and I need to wait for the other half of the puzzle to be completed, even temporarily. I enjoy working for and with John and hope to continue to do so over the coming year. Everything will just take its time.

I'm glad I turned down some of the opportunities that I have.

One of them straight up challenged my morals, and made me ask what type of person I truly want to be. Asking that question has led us to move out of the city, to commit to spending more time as a couple, to evaluate our relationships with others, and to make life decisions that reflect the kind of person that I will be proud to say I have become. I'm thankful for the opportunity to have stood up for myself.

Another encouraged us to look at our commitments to time and finances. To take the position would require us to purchase a second car and commute upwards of an hour to and from work daily, something I don't feel would reflect good stewardship of the gifts we have been given.

In the words of Cameron:

"Regrets? Absolutely not. Although it was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, it was the right one. I can't regret standing up for myself. I hope my decision can truly show people that it's okay and right to stand up for yourself if you believe it, even if the spotlight is on you. I've always learned that when one door closes another one opens. That’s what life is all about. Making decisions."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you think!