Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's just going around!

I guess we're all familiar with the lovable-but-cheesy-and-extremely-tear-jerking movie Pay it Forward, so I don't really need to elaborate on what the concept really means. But, in short...

Paying it Forward means returning the act of kindness that someone does for you, towards someone else.

This morning my husband John and I went out for breakfast. We needed a little down time as the last couple weeks have been, by all accounts, insane. From medical emergencies in the family, to risky surgeries in the family, to emotional New Chapters and exhausting commitments (yes, I'm learning to say "no")... we're tired out.

So, we went to a place our friends showed us called Tammie's and we relaxed. I'm talking poached eggs, delicious homefries and the most enjoyable cup of tea over great conversation and laughs that only two best friends can share.

Beside us sat a woman, on her own, delighting in a very similar breakfast and I can tell you she was one of the most content women I have ever seen. How difficult it is to be on your own, doing activities that are meant for sharing! Anyhow - she seemed happy, we overheard her tell the (wonderful) waitress that her food was "delicious as always", and she left on her way.

When it came time for us to see the bill, we learned this contented, solitary woman had already covered our debt.

"It seems like this thing that's going around", the waitress laughed. "Not just in here, I mean, all across town - just random acts of kindness for no good reason".

And that made my day. Yesterday I officially graduated University - concovated, hooded, honoured, all these things that come along with finishing four dedicated years of schooling - and I have been challenged with the same "what next?" mentality that my colleagues have. Thankfully, this fits in exactly with what I've been learning (and taught by those that love me): that the most important role we can play in this world is the role that we have on influencing others.

So, until I find the right job, and especially afterward, my goal will be to Pay it Forward.

On another note - take a look at my new garden!!





3 comments:

  1. Excellent read, Sam! I enjoyed the story. And I like how it happened so close to home. I hope you guys are doing well. Sweet pics of the garden too, by the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog!! I just started a new one called This Rookie Wife. :)

    The garden is so cute by the way!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you think!